Bronx Personal Injury Attorney
Do I need an Injury Attorney? Injured Contact us today.
Find out why you should choose us. Read about our victories.
5600A Broadway, Bronx, NY 10463

Hit and Run in Brooklyn Kills One

On November 1, 2012, a livery cab drove through an intersection in Brooklyn without stopping, and struck and killed a pedestrian. After the accident, the car drove off without waiting for the police to arrive or stopping to render medical aid or attention to the pedestrian.

Hit and run incidents are tragic and unexpected accidents and those who are injured in these types of car accidents have two options when attempting to obtain compensation for their injuries.

The first layer of potential insurance available for the accident victim is the victim's own car insurance coverage. If the victim owns a motor vehicle, the vehicle's insurance policy covers the accident victim even though he/she was not using the vehicle at the time of the accident. This is called uninsured motorist vehicle coverage. This type of insurance coverage on one's vehicle extends to the person wherever he or she may be. To put it in another way, the uninsured coverage steps into the shoes of the hit and run vehicle and provides coverage for any injuries that occur.

The second insurance option available for those injured in hit and run accidents in Uninsured Motorist coverage. Uninsured Motorist benefits are sought by filing a claim with your own car insurance company. Even if you were a pedestrian hit by an uninsured car, you can make a claim against your own car insurance to seek compensation for your pain and suffering. Once again, this type of insurance essentially, "stands in the shoes" of the hit and run vehicle. As long as you or your attorney can prove that the vehicle which caused your injuries left the scene and cannot be identified, the uninsured motorist insurance policy should apply.

In the event the accident victim does not own a car, the accident victim can look to the Motor Vehicle Accident Indemnification Insurance Company ("MVIAC") for help. MVIAC is a state-run insurance fund which acts as a last-resort insurance; meaning, it may provide coverage if there is no other insurance available, MVIAC steps in and becomes the insurance company that the injured person looks to for recovery of money for damages.

This process is complicated, and you may want to consider talking to an attorney so that you can learn more about your rights and possible options. If you have been injured by a stolen vehicle or an unidentified driver, contact the Law Offices of Steven I. Fried at 212-964-5777 for the caring help you deserve.

Categories: Car Accidents
The Law Firm of Steven I. Fried, P.C. - Bronx Personal Injury Attorney
Located at 5600A Broadway, Bronx, NY 10463.
Phone: (212) 964-5777.
Website: .